Fried Green Tomatoes with Tomato Jam Dip
Southern dishes really are the best, aren't they?
Fried green tomatoes are a classic! They are created by slicing up unripe green tomatoes, battering them, frying them, and then dipping them.
They really are a must for tomato lovers - any season! Paired them with a delicious fried green tomatoes sauce like the TBJ Gourmet deep south tomato jam dip - it’s divine!
Fried Green Tomatoes Are A Hit!
Have you ever seen the classic film Fried Green Tomatoes starring actress Jessica Tandy? I bet you wondered if people in the South really do eat fried tomatoes!
Well, they do! A fried green tomato meal is delicious - and you can bake your own fried green tomatoes - also a fantastic appetizer - for your family or guests!
Start out by purchasing some big green tomatoes at your local organic food store or farmers market. It’s also a great way to make use of any leftover tomatoes you may have laying around.
What are the best tomatoes for fried green tomatoes?
The trick is that your tomatoes need to be unripe tomatoes (green!). This means that they are firmer than red tomatoes, and not as juicy. Green tomatoes are so delicious - tangier, milder, and they are perfect for frying!
This savory appetizer will soon be your favorite thing to serve at parties or gatherings. It’s a sure hit - a classic and home-y dish. It’s also SO simple! The green tomatoes are dredged in flour and then skillet-fried to crispy perfection. Then, dipped in southern tomato jam!
Storing Your Fried Green Tomatoes
Fried green tomatoes are delicious when they are hot off the presses and perfectly crispy!
However, it is possible to successfully store them in your fridge for a couple of days for a sweet treat later on. The trick is to make sure that you place them in a nice, cool, airtight container.
To reheat your fried tomatoes, simply pop them back onto the skillet, or warm them up in the oven. You can even reheat them in your air fryer if you have one.
Tips For Perfect Fried Green Tomatoes
Fried green tomatoes should be nice and crunchy on the outside, and sweet and juicy inside.
Some tips and tricks for making Fried Green Tomatoes:
- Pick the perfect tomatoes.
- Your flour coating should be nice and thin for crispy tomatoes.
- Don't crowd your pan by frying too many at once. Make your tomatoes in smaller batches.
- Have a large plate ready that is covered with paper towels for a dry place to cool your tomatoes. This will keep them from becoming soggy.
- Serve with a side of fried green tomatoes dip - TBJ gourmet deep south tomato Jam is perfect.
- Create a fried green tomato napoleon by layering your tomatoes and dip.
To create a fried green tomatoes meal, try topping your healthy fried green tomatoes with different things.
Try adding: a spoonful of crab meat or tuna salad on top, or try creating a BLT with your fried green tomatoes, by placing them inside a soft roll with tomato jam, crispy bacon slices, and your favorite cheese!
How To Make Perfect Fried Green Tomatoes
There are several variations on fried tomato recipes. You can use white cornmeal (a fav in the South), or basic cornmeal.
Buttermilk adds more flavor than traditional milk - but feel free to use milk or half n half if that’s what you have on hand.
All-purpose flour is best to keep things light and super crispy!
Fried Green Tomatoes with Tomato Jam Dip Recipe
- 4-5 medium-sized green tomatoes
- Sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 2 large egg
- 1/2 cup of white cornmeal
- 3/4 cups of finely grated bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup canola oil for frying
- 1 cup of TBJ Gourmet “Deep South Tomato Jam” (the best sauce for fried green tomatoes!)
- Slice your green tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices.
- Sprinkle slices with sea salt.
- For your fried green tomatoes batter: In 3 medium bowls, mix together: 1) the flour with the cajun seasoning; 2) the buttermilk with the eggs-whisked; 3) the fine breadcrumbs with the cornmeal.
- Bread your green tomato slices by dipping in 1, then 2 and 3.
- On medium heat, place oil in your skillet.
- Place the dipped green tomato slices onto the pan.
- Fry the breaded tomatoes - one side at a time, for 3-4 minutes, until toasty brown. Repeat until all are done.
- Cool your tomatoes on paper towels.
- Serve with your fried green tomatoes secret sauce - a side dipping bowl of the TBJ tomato jam for dipping!
What goes well with fried green tomatoes?
You can serve up your southern living fried green tomatoes as an entree with a side of jasmine rice, or a crispy green salad!
They are also a perfect side dish - starring alongside your favorite chicken or fish dish.
Or keep things simple. Enjoy a fried green tomatoes appetizer - it’s fun and unique. Place on pretty plates with a nice glass of cold beer, sweet tea, or a wine of your choice.