Southern Tomato Pie with Tomato Jam
Good good sweet jam - in a pie!
Are you looking for the perfect winter comfort food? Southern tomato pie with tomato jam may just be the answer!
Nothing is as delicious as Southern baked pies, and a fresh garden tomato pie is simply divine. By combining tomato, basil, a creamy cheese mixture and tomato jam into a crispy pie crust, you’ll find a literal slice of heaven.
In the winter, comfort foods are often baked in a golden-brown flaky pie crust shell. Doesn’t your mouth water just thinking about them? Serving deep south pies, like a southern living tomato pie, brings complete comfort in a slice!
Served up with a crispy green salad and a glass of red wine, you have a winning winter dinner for your family and friends!
What Is Southern Tomato Pie?
A southern tomato pie is a classic southern food dish. Sometimes called a Kentucky pie (or even an Alabama pie) it oozes with warm southern charm, and is a perfect use for juicy ripe tomatoes and freshly picked basil.
This savory winter pie is made with sliced or chopped-up tomatoes with basil, a creamy cheese mixture topped, a layer of tomato jam, and a dreamy and perfectly flaky pie crust shell.
It is served in slices like a pie. You can enjoy it right out of the oven or slightly warm. It can be the main dish or even a side dish.
You can also be creative with this dish!
Variations To Try:
- Add caramelized onions
- Sprinkle bacon on top
- Try out different cheeses or blends of cheeses.
- Thinly slice and layer your tomatoes, or chop
Tomatoes are beloved in the south, and this recipe is a smart and savory way to use up your summer tomato harvest year round - it freezes well, too!
If you are wondering how to make tomato jam, simply buy TBJ Gourmet’s fabulous Deep South Tomato Jam - it’s perfect for this recipe!
The Perfect Southern Tomato Pie Recipe
An easy southern tomato pie recipe from TBJ Gourmet
- the best southern tomato pie recipe!
- Pie crusts defrosted to room temperature
- 3 fresh medium tomatoes
- Freshly sliced basil
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup regular mayonnaise
- ½ cup of TBJ Deep South Tomato Jam
- 2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- Clove of garlic, minced
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Additional: salad kit
- Bake your pie shell until lightly brown.
- Once cooled, spread an even layer of southern tomato jam onto the shell. (this is perfect if you are looking for tomato jam uses!)
- Then, top the jam with thinly sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle it with salt.
- Chop up your basil in a small bowl. Add in your mayonnaise and cheeses.
- Arrange your tomato slices in an elegant way in the baked pie shell. Add the basil, another pinch of salt and pepper.
- Spread your mayo and cheese mix over the top of the tomatoes and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until set.
- Cool your tomato pie for about 15 minutes.
- Serve your classic southern tomato pie sliced while still warm.
Baking Tips For Your Perfect Tomato Pie
What goes with tomato pie?
If you are wondering what to serve with deep dish tomato pie, try: crispy green salads, bean casserole dishes, and even some fried chicken! Really, anything goes!
Baking a classic tomato pie is relatively easy! Maybe that's why it is such a popular dish down south! However, here are a few tips to help you out.
- Be sure to properly drain your tomatoes to remove excess juice, or your pie will be soggy.
- Grating fresh cheese yourself tastes best!
- Sharp cheddar tastes best in this dish - play around with blending others to it, too!
- When adding caramelized onions or bacon: place the bacon sprinkled on top, and place the onion on the bottom with the tomato jam!
- Make sure your sweet tomato pie cools enough before slicing.
Southern Tomato Pie Goodness
Nothing beats southern pie recipes - they are so yummy!
Real memories are built around a warm piece of pie! And, this delicious Southern tomato pie with tomato jam will invite good times and fine conversation.
Nothing is as special in the winter as gathering around with family and friends for delicious food with your loved ones. This tasty, savory, old fashioned tomato pie is sure to be a hit in your home this winter!