How to Make Bacon Jam for Burgers
Bacon jam is a hot commodity right now. There’s a reason this tasty condiment is trending: its savory flavor pairs well with so many dishes, making it a versatile and delicious addition to any meal or snack spread.
The ways to use bacon jam are practically endless. You can use it in appetizers, side dishes, breakfast spreads, soups, fresh-baked breads, dips, and even desserts. You can use bacon jam to up the ante on a pan of mac and cheese or add a little fire to a BLT.
However, one of the best ways to enjoy this versatile relish is on a big, juicy burger.
When paired with a grilled or pan-seared hamburger, a toasted brioche bun, and the melted cheese of your choice, bacon jam reaches what many claim to be the zenith of its mouth-watering potential.
While you can find a tantalizing collection of bacon jams and rubs at TBJ Gourmet, including unique flavors like Sweet Chili or Honey Habanero, you also might want to try your hand at creating your own bacon jam at home.
If you’re the type who likes to make your own condiments from scratch, here is a walkthrough for how to make bacon jam for burgers yourself.
- 1.5 pounds bacon, chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 4 onions, diced
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- 1.5 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Cover a baking sheet with tin foil. Place the bacon on the sheet in a single layer and bake it in the oven at 400°. Bake for 30 minutes or until crisp. The crispier the bacon, the better it will work in bacon jam.
- Remove the bacon from the oven and place each strip on a plate lined with paper towels to drain the fat. Keep the bacon grease on the baking sheet.
- Chop the bacon into small bits.
- Place a pot over medium heat and add two teaspoons of bacon fat and butter. Saute the onions with one tablespoon of salt for 10 minutes.
- Stir the brown sugar, thyme leaves, black pepper, sherry vinegar, and cayenne into the sauteed onions.
- Add the chopped bacon.
- Stir the water into the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the burner and stir in the olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Stir continuously until the jam reaches the desired consistency.
For mouth-watering bacon jam burgers, pan-sear the hamburger patties until a slight crust forms on both sides. You won’t need to add too much seasoning - salt and pepper should do the trick. The crust will be delicious with the bacon jam.
Consider lightly toasting the hamburger buns. Ciabatta, brioche, onion, potato, and pretzel buns each add a different texture and flavor, so experiment until you find the right fit for your taste.
The same goes for cheese. Bacon jam pairs well with basically any kind of cheese. Try cheddar, brie, goat cheese, smoked gouda, provolone, or pepper jack.
Try Bacon Jam from TBJ Gourmet
Once you get the taste for bacon jam, you’ll never want to do without. At TBJ Gourmet, though, we know that people don’t always have the time, experience, or ingredients needed to make their own. Luckily, we’ve put together a line of delicious bacon jams and rubs that we’re sure you’ll find irresistible.
That’s because we put just as much love and care into the bacon jam we cook as you would when making your own. See for yourself by ordering a jar today!